Monday, October 18, 2010

September 2010 - Expect Moore


SEPTEMBER
 Our fall feature comes from Las Vegas, NV. Carolina Moore is the crafty mind behind. Expect Moore.  
Tell us a bit about yourself:
I'm a 30-year-old wife and mom living in Las Vegas, NV. My son, "Little Moore" is turning 2 in September. I like to craft, which includes sewing, scrapbooking, beading, and all kinds of other things. I don't really like to travel, but all of my family lives out of state, so I end up traveling a lot, because family is very important to me. I'm very close with my parents and 3 brothers.


How long have you been crafting?
As long as I can remember. My mom is a creative person, and she taught me how to sew at a young age. I was a Girl Scout - and we did lots of crafts at meetings (I can still braid a mean lanyard), and my brothers were Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, so I often did "their" crafts as well - like entering a car in the Pine Wood Derby Race!

Do you have a favorite medium or medium of the moment?
I've been doing a lot of sewing lately, and some scrap booking. I really need to make more time for the scrap booking, because I'm horribly behind on my photos. I'm looking forward to doing some beading again (it has been a while), and picking up some chainmail... I've only done a little, but it is so beautiful!


Is there anything influencing your work right now?
My son influences a lot of what I do - I'm often doing something that is specifically for him. Recently, I did an entire week of Pocket related posts on my blog, which was inspired by his fascination with putting things into pockets.

Are you known for a specialty?
I get lots of comments on my tutorials. I like to have lots of pictures that detail the process. Ideally, I'd like someone to be able to follow the tutorial without reading any of the words - only looking at the pictures. Not all my tutorials are that detailed, but it is my goal.

One tool you can’t live without?
My sewing machine. I have a Husky (Viking/Husqvarna) that my parents gave me for my High School graduation over a decade ago. I love it, and am so sad when it needs to go into the shop!


Something craft related that you spend too much money on.
Fabric. I'm a sucker for fabrics. A trip to JoAnn's or Quiltique isn't complete unless I've walked through every isle, and then stopped by the remnant bin to pick out a favorite or two (or three...). I also recently bought custom-made clothing labels. They were pricey, but I love them!

Are you featured or published? If so, where can we see your work.
I'm an Editor at eLivingMedia, where I write on things both craft-related and not craft related.

I've been featured on One Pretty Thing, Totally Tutorials, Craft Gossip, and Craft Crave, as well as a couple foreign-language craft roundups.

Any tip or trick you’d like to share?
If you're open minded, creative ideas will come your way... just remember to write them down before you forget! I also keep a running list of "inspirations" which are projects from other blogs and sites that I'd like to try someday. You'll find a link to my Inspirations list in the menu bar at the top of my blog.


Do you have any tutorials to share?
You can find a list of my tutorials at:
http://www.alwaysexpectmoore.com/p/tutorials.html

If you have a creative block, is there anything that works to motivate you in a positive direction?
Going through my inspirations list always gives me projects to work on. Also, looking at other blogs is always motivating.


Is there anything craft related that you would like to try or learn?
One day I'd love to learn to crochet. My mom and grandmother both tried teaching me, but I didn't have the patience. Maybe one day...



Your favorite magazine?
I love "Family Fun" magazine for great kid ideas. Reader's Digest is great for short stories I can read before bed. I'm looking for some great craft 'zines to subscribe to, I think supporting our crafting community is important.
Carolina Moore can be found at:
Blog: 
  http://expectmoore.blogspot.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment